Evaluation Seven - Text Format:
Doing the preliminary task was a good starter for me rather that rushing straight into the real product even though I did complete a magazine in year 11 however doing this task helped refresh my mind on how to use Photoshop and other programmes.
In the school magazine I did not take many pictures due to not having enough time, and none of the pictures were taken in a studio or even a real location. Addtionally I took approximately 5 to 10 pictures which was was deemed as a bad idea as I was only able to pick from five images and they did not seem suitable for the cover. This experience made me aware that during the real production I was to take as many images as possible to allow a large variety of photos to choose from which I am able to use and adapt to the magazine.
Another element I found was to ensure I chose a suitable location which would either be easy to edit out or be apart of the photo as I took images in front of lots of objects so editing out the background was very difficult.
During my preliminary task I minimal planning and was making decisions as I go such as colour schemes, layout and design. This made me spend lots of time in the process as I had to keep experimenting different things which was time consuming and unnecessary. With the main task I was able to have clear guidelines and make efficient planning and research to see what would attract my audience. Planning was also crucial in terms of meeting the requirements in detail and efficiency. I excelled in planning and research in the main task which meant that my product was professional but effective as well.
Editing the images have also improved from my preliminary task, in the preliminary task I was able to use the layering tools and magic wand, but not to a professional standard. In the main task I was able to use lots of different techniques such as gradients, embossing text and many others to create a realistic and stylish look. In addition I was also able to edit the hue, saturation and darkness of the images to create a more stylised image. The preliminary task was also very limited in the variety of shots used in the contents pages which seems dull and repetitive so in my main task I ensures a multiple variances to make it more interesting and unusual.
Looking back at my preliminary task I believe I have made great progress from it to the full product. The front cover in the preliminary task looks fairly simple with the sell lines being everywhere around the page and it does not look like it has been planned well however we did not have any time to do so. Furthermore the colours are very dull and do not go well together and it is far from being a realistic front cover. I have made great progression from this to my music magazine as now the main picture is much clearer and realistic. The colours also go well together and the masthead is in white which is very unusual however it shows the unique side due to the magazine being a R&B magazine and R&B is all about being unique. Moreover the sell lines are in much better order and they have been made to suit the genre of my magazine and to catch the eye of the audience.
Additionally the contents page in the preliminary task also look very simplistic and not attractive at all. The numbers to show what page everything will be on are not in line with each-other which highlights the un-professional side to the magazine. This further adds to the point of the colours not going well together again and the lack of pictures that were used in the contents page which does not catch the audiences eye and it makes them skip the page instantly. However, for my music magazine I have added great images and a clear subscription box which adds the professional side to the magazine.