Saturday 9 March 2013

Evaluation Five

Evaluation Five - Text Format:

 I addressed my magazine to my target audience with the colour scheme. The colour scheme of white, purple and grey is commonly used in R&B magazines. My target audience will have previously read music magazines of the R&B genre, therefore will recognise the theme. It will appeal to them instantly as they will be aware of the content of the magazine before even opening it. I also ensured to use large, bold fonts for my sell lines, titles and masthead. This will help to aim my magazine at my target audience as it conotates power and success, my target audience will have a attraction to magazines of this sort therefore will be tempted to buy my magazine. 

 Another feature that hugely addresses my implied reader is my cover model. I chose to use a pretty young girl, dressed in clothes that will relate to R&B music such as a white simple unique dress, heels, and some jewllery. However the other model I used in my other magazine had more vicious clothes on such as a leather jacket and black jeans in order to highlight the contrast between the two models. This will grasp my target audience's attenton instantly as female readers will be able to personally identify with them. They will be able to relate to their fashion sense, make up, general body language. Male readers might feel attracted to my feature artist as her body language signifies a confident and dominating attitude. Males will feel this appealing to read about as generally feature artists discussed as feature artists on VIBE and NME are male. Therefore, my magazine will intrigue male readers. 

 Furthermore I studied many similar products in order to form the characteristics of my feature artist. I focused on how other music artists were portrayed in magazines such as NME and thought about why. I found that the majority of feature artists/cover models were represented in a rebellious but thrilling light. I decided I wanted to make my feature artists assertive and confident but also unique. I showed these characteristics by discussing their love life. Moreover, I also had to think about showing my character has a soft-side too. As my target audience would be interested in good things happening to good people also, I did this by mentioning my feature artist has an interest in helping people who are less fortunate. This will help the target audience to form a personal relationship with “Bora Fona” and “Jade McClune” as they will agree with what they do and aspire to be like them.

 Another contributing factor that further addresses my magazine to my target audience is my publisher. I chose to have IPC Media to publish my magazine. This will address my target audience as they will not have found a R&B genre magazine published by this company before, therefore will feel interested to explore the new magazine. It I were to have it published by another company, for example The national Magazine company, audiences would recognise there is already a R&B magazine published by that company, in this case VIBE. 

 Additionally I wanted my magazine to appeal to my target audience for the uses and gratifications theory of escapism. I feel I did this successfully by having multiple sections of my magazine mentioned on my contents page. There is a News section which would be essentially used to inform the reader on events happening in different music artists lives. However, I also have reviews, exclusives, features and plus section. These will ensure the reader has hours of entertainment in a number of different topics and articles. This will instantly appeal to my audience as they will see a huge selection of things to read and entertain themselves with. And be able to escape from their own lives and indulge in celebrity gossip.

No comments:

Post a Comment