Saturday 9 March 2013

Evaluation Two




Evaluation Two - Text Format:


My magazine is representing a certain social group where people favourite the music genre of R&B. Within this the social group, through research these are mainly 16-25 year olds whom are in education who have a creative flair in their personality and talents such as music, photography, dance. Also the research I did shows that they are heavily influenced by the music and have a high interest of going to social events which include raves, gigs, parties, concerts and festival. 


After closely studying my similar product research magazines, such as NME and Kerrang, I came to the conclusion that my target audience would have an interest in musical artists with characteristics such as being rebellious and unpredictable. For example, music artists I found my target audience to enjoy reading about were people like Kanye West, Amy Winehouse and Rolling Stones. This is because of their rebellious take on life, leading to extreme circumstances and a generally exciting life. These characters would be shown in magazines such as NME smoking and drinking – highlighting their ‘don’t care’ attitudes.

They are a tight community of people and they are influenced by fashion that is unique, comfortable yet sexy and stylish. Their attitude is carefree and quite flamboyant. To appeal to them I would have to tailor my magazine to suit their likes. To represent the social group I had to cast my models appropriately ensuring they fit my social group themselves. I decided to use people that are from the social group and to exaggerate on parts of them to appeal to my audience. I also had to ensure that I did not confuse my audience with other music genres such as indie so therefore I used chains and printed t shirts which resemble RnB and tried not to use pretty floral dresses or denim which represent  the indie genre. 


I began my article with '"This planet is not big enough for both of us" which represents the selfishness in the R&B genre and the way all artists want to be the best and beat the rest. This will attract the targeted social group due to them being unique and loving competition. My cover models facial expressions are generally cheeky and fierce, as she will look very feisty and angry however on my second magazine which I created she is more of the "down to earth chick"  slightly smile whilst gazing into the camera. This is effective as it will grasp the reader’s attention as they will be drawn to look at the page. This also creates a mysterious appearance for my feature artist, helping to sell the article further as the target audience will feel curious about her and want to read on. Her body language is dominant and confident.

Moreover, finalising my representation of the social group throughout my magazine I made the tone of it suitable. In the front cover and contents page I had made reference to lots of different artists that are not particularly mainstream but are known to them. This allows the audience to realise that the magazine is tailored to their likes. Also I have also made lots of referencing to different events and awards that only people within the social group would have heard of. In the articles I had made two different tones to each one, for the male artists I had made it very serious but realistic, as I wanted the audience to relate to him, show his battle in the industry, as many of my target audience are also hopefuls in the industry so it would create a personal atmosphere with the reader. The female article however is written in a friendly and happy tone, it is a more general interview and it is for the readers who are reading for enjoyment and curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment