Saturday 9 March 2013

Evaluation Three


Evaluation Three - Text Format:

 There are a lot of institutions which I could think of for distributing my media product however I had to think which institution would be most appropriate to distribute my magazine. This includes thinking of the characteristics of my magazine and which institution would increase sales of my magazine. Conde Nast is a worldwide publishing company. In the U.S., it produces 18 consumer magazines, including Architectural Digest,Bon Appétit,GQ,The New Yorker,Vanity Fair, and Vogue, as well as four business-to-business publications, 27 websites, and more than 50 apps for mobile and tablet devices. I felt already that as it is a company which distributes lifestyle magazines this would not be very useful due to my magazine being targeted at a very niche audience who like R&B music. 

 Bauer Media is a privately owned publishing group. Having done some research I found out that many of the media they distribute is mainstream and appeal to a mass audience. It is worldwide and offers 300 magazines in 15 different countries, their business is built on influential media brands with millions of personal relationships with engaged readers and listeners. This would not be ideal for my own magazine as it is aimed at a relatively small target audience so therefore my magazine would not gain interest from the distributor. Furthermore being published in 15 different countries would be a waste of time as my magazine is based in the UK and there would be no point publishing it worldwide.

 The national magazine company is the biggest magazine distributor and they are responsible for distributing All About Soap, Best, Company, Cosmopolitan, Country Living, ELLE, ELLE Decoration, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper’s Bazaar, House Beautiful, Inside Soap, Prima, Red, Real People, Reveal and Zest. The group publishes three magazines, Men's Health, Runner’s World and Women’s Health through Hearst-Rodale UK. They work within the UK and have a generally balanced appeal to women and men which is something that would appeal to my magazine. However it does not have any other music magazines as they currently distribute a low 22 magazines in the UK. This could work as an advantage to my magazine as it is a niche market and would be better off with an independent distributor. Also being established in the UK would act as an advantage as my magazine is based and targeted at the younger generation of the UK. They would find interest in my magazine as it could generate a high market share as being one of the only music magazines NMC are distributing and its differentiation to the other magazines it would be a unique selling point. 

 IPC media are amazingly well known as it creates very successful and well known magazines such as NME. IPC media is a consumer magazine and digital publisher in the UK with a large portfolio selling over 350 million copies each year which highlights its popularity which portrays that by having my magazine published by IPC media it may become even more popular and it could possibly generate more sales. I felt being a more mainstream distributor with the three core audience focus IPC would not be an ideal distributer for my magazine Broken Records. Having my audience aimed at a younger generation I believe that my magazine would not appeal to IPC media’s core audience, on the other hand it could be seen as an advantage as my magazine would be more unique so therefore the competition level would be low. Additionally I believe that IPC Media would be a good distributor for my magazine. However due to the similar product they already distribute which is NME I believe IPC would not be the best choice so therefore I would go for The national magazine company.

No comments:

Post a Comment